On the Blog: Porters Recommends
Spring Favourites Guide
We took a vote and our staff told us their favourite season in Hawke’s Bay is spring. While difficult to rival the amazing hot summers and colourful autumns… (in fact, even our winters are outstanding!) it seems spring was the most anticipated time of year for the Porters team. With blossoming orchards, vineyards springing to life and local restaurants bursting with fresh produce it’s hard to beat. To help you plan your spring getaway we have put together our spring favourites guide.
1. Enjoy Central Hawke’s Bay on a spring platter. The Spring Fling is a series of standout events that celebrate the spirit of springtime in Central Hawke’s Bay, all located within easy distance of the hotel. From homesteads to long lunches, culture, boat races and everything in between. View the full programme here.
2. Drift around the daffodils at Taniwha. Lose yourself in a sea of daffodils at the Taniwha Daffodil display. Located around 20 minutes from the hotel, Taniwha Daffodils is open every day in September and you can pick, walk, ponder or picnic. With all proceeds going to Plunket you can enjoy the display of many hundreds of daffodil varieties, planted in a 20 acre park-like setting, amongst mature trees and ponds. For more visit http://taniwhadaffodils.co.nz/.
3. Explore the world of scent, ritual and magic with Archeus. Friend of Porters, Archeus in Napier is dedicated to connecting people to the healing power of nature. With workshops, energy and nature healing sessions available this is your chance to to step into the heady and evocative world of scent and ritual with an Aroma Ritual workshop. Held on the 15th of September, you will create your own natural incense blends, make your own smudge sticks and learn about what herbs, spices and resins have been used through time. Click here for more.
4. Be like the bees and visit the Arataki Honey Centre. Arataki Honey is the number one beekeeping business in the Southern Hemisphere with 20,000 hives across New Zealand. Discover all about honey and meet the bees that make it in the interactive, fun and informative honey bee centre. Visitors learn about the world of the honey bee, how they live, their role in the food chain and the wonderful products they produce. The visitor centre is located only 5 minutes from the hotel, visit their website for more information.
5. Get up close with Gannet Safaris Cape Kidnappers Gannet Tours. Gannet Safaris Overland will reopen on 1 September offering three tour options for discovering the wonders of Cape Kidnappers gannet colony. Every tour will provide a unique experience where you will discover the largest mainland gannet colony in the world from your position at the brink of the cliffs edge – 100 metres above the ocean, whilst being served light refreshments as you enjoy watching the gannets perform around you. To view more visit their website or speak with our concierge regarding the ‘a friend of Porters programme‘.
6. See the vines springing to life at Elephant Hill. There’s nothing like being by the seaside as the temperature warms up and Elephant Hill winery offers the perfect place to enjoy the spring weather. Stylish, warm and inviting, you can unwind and enjoy delicious food and stunning wines whilst taking in breathtaking views over the Pacific Ocean and vineyard. Wander the vines, see the buds bursting and soak up the season. For more see https://www.elephanthill.co.nz/.
7. Wander the sculpture garden at Birdwoods Gallery. Set in the countryside just 3km from the hotel, Birdwoods is a ‘must see’ for all visitors and locals, offering a gallery, sculpture garden, cafe and old fashioned sweet shop. You’ll be enchanted by everything at Birdwoods. Visit their website for more information – https://www.birdwoodsgallery.co.nz/.
8. Enjoy local spring produce at Malo Restaurant. Enjoy award-winning cuisine right next door to the hotel at Malo Restaurant. Enjoy local seasonal produce with a modern twist complemented by an outstanding wine list featuring local and international wines. With a friendly and relaxed vibe you’ll want to settle in, linger longer and enjoy the best of Havelock North. To view the menus visit www.malo.co.nz.
9. Enjoy the blossoms and native plants while wandering local reserves. Havelock North was recently named Most Beautiful Suburb in New Zealand and with so many nature reserves and green pockets, it’s easy to see why. Take a walk through the Tainui Reserve located only minutes from the hotel. You can wind your way around a variety of different tracks, visit a historical pa site and take in glorious views of the region. There will be plenty of scenic sites including Te Mata Peak, Mt Erin, spring blossoms, native trees planted by the local community and New Zealand birdlife. Your friendly concierge will be able to point you in the direction of this wonderful reserve.
Spring Getaway Package | $280 per night valued at $381
Soak up the best of the season with this delightful spring package. You’ll enjoy:
One night’s luxury accommodation for two in a deluxe room
Complimentary breakfast for two at Malo Restaurant
Late check-out (midday)
Complimentary valet parking